This course will cover various social issues in globalization and international development.
Students read and summarize case studies , and will acquire the skills how to analyze changing societies and social problems today.
Part I Urbanization
- Urbanization: What are problems?
- Urbanization and agriculture
- Slum and latrine
- Slum tourism
Part II Empowerment and discrimination
- Individual empowerment
- Impact of female employment after conflict
- Social protection
- Gender equality dilemma in Japanese society
- LGBT in American academia
- Race discrimination
Part III Globalization and culture
- Aging in East Asia and Pacific
- Cultural globalization: Korean pop
3. Natural Disasters
Materials will be distributed via emails..
Term paper: 20%